What information do we collect?
Information You Provide – We and our service providers collect the information that you provide when you use the App, including when you create an account; select an organization; report a tip; submit pictures, videos, audio files, or other content; update your contact information; use App features that access your contacts or share your location information; sign up to receive electronic messages and safety and service-related notifications; or otherwise contact us or with a question, comment, or request.
The information that you provide us may include, but is not limited to: (a) your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, username, password, organizational affiliation, and other registration information; (b) pictures, videos, audio files and other content you submit; (c) contact list information; and (d) any information you provide us when you contact us. In addition, when you use certain App features, you may permit, through the permission systems used by your mobile platform, that we access the names and contact information in the address book on your device or collect your precise location information (see below for more on location information). If you choose to communicate with us your contacts through the App, for example, by using SafeWalk, you represent that all such contacts have consented to receive SMS texts from you.
Some of the information you may choose to provide may constitute sensitive personal information, such as information related to current health status, potential criminal activity, and racial or ethnic origin.
You may be able to submit certain information anonymously, in which case we will not disclose your identity in connection with your submission except when we believe that we are legally permitted or required to provide organizations with which you are affiliated, emergency service providers or other government entities with information that may identify the individuals who submitted tips anonymously.
Information Automatically Collected From You – We and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your mobile device when you use the App, such as mobile carrier information, device and application IDs, and information regarding how you use the App.
Location Information – Many of our safety communication services and App features rely on precise location information. This information helps provide actionable crowd-sourced safety and security intelligence to you and other users and connects people to the help they need. To support these services, our App may use your IP address, GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower location information, and other technologies to determine your device’s approximate or precise location. You can share your precise location with us and other users, public safety officials, and organizations to which you belong such as your employer or school. You may adjust your location settings on your mobile device at any time by managing your location services preferences through the settings of your mobile device or, if available, through the App’s permission settings. Please note that if you disable location services on your device or for the App, you will not be able to take advantage of the full range of the App’s safety features.
Information Obtained From Other Sources. We may receive information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the App. This includes:
- If you choose to log into your LiveSafe account using social media or other third-party login features, such as those provided by Facebook, we receive information about you from the social media or third-party service, including your name, email and user ID.
- We receive information about you from your affiliated organizations such as your employer or school.
How do we use this information?
We, and our affiliates and subsidiaries, may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- helping you in an emergency, such as by directing your tips and other communications to operators and responding via secure live chat;
- supporting the organizations you join in providing you with services and support, including for safety and security purposes;
sending you safety alerts and other relevant safety and service-related notifications via SMS text, push notification, email and other methods;
- allowing you to communicate and share certain App features with friends, family, chosen organization, and other third parties that you choose;
- allowing you to set up a user account and profile;
- providing you with products, services, or information you request;
- providing you with information about the App or required notices;
- customizing your experience when using the App, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements on the App and providing you with content based on your location, the organizations you have joined, or your interests;
- improving the App and the services we provide, such as by using analytics and better tailoring our content to our users’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the App;
- to support our business operations.
We also may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect through the App or elsewhere for any of these purposes.
Under what circumstances do we disclose this information?
We may disclose the information we collect from you through the App:
- to your friends, family, chosen organizations, and other third parties that you choose to receive the information;
- to our affiliates and subsidiaries;
- to service providers who work on our behalf and who have agreed to use the information solely in furtherance of our operations (such as providers of hosting services and email/SMS delivery services);
- to public safety officials and other government entities on an emergency basis or when requested by you;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations;
- to affiliates, service providers, advisors, and other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
Please remember that if you choose to associate your account with an with an organization as part of your account set up, this organization will receive the information you provide us as well as the information we automatically collect from you. This organization may use this information in accordance with its privacy policies. Please review the privacy policies of the organization to learn more about its data handling practices.
In addition, we may share de-identified reports on user demographics and traffic patterns, as well as other de-identified information, with third parties.
Third-Party Links and Features
The App also may contain third-party links or features. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such third parties that are not under our control. We encourage you to review the privacy policies applicable to third-party websites or features.
We provide you with the ability to log into your account using social media or other third-party login features, such as those provided by Facebook. We do not control these third-party services, your profiles on social media services, or determine how your information will be used by these third-party services. Please read all policies and information on the applicable third-party services to learn more about how they handle your information before logging into this App using such features. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for any acts or omissions by any social media service or other third-party service that you choose to use.
Where is this information processed?
Information collected through the App will be processed in and subject to the laws of the United States, which was deemed by the European Commission not to offer a level of data protection equivalent to the EU, and may be available to the United States government, state government, courts, or law enforcement or regulatory agencies under a lawful order made in the United States. In addition, we or our service providers may transfer your information outside the United States to our affiliates, business partners, and service providers located in other countries. By using the App, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, the United States and these other countries.
How is your information stored and secured?
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the personal information collected by the App. However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of personal information you transmit to the App over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
You choose whether to report tips, use emergency features, communicate with your chosen organization, friends, family and others, or invite a third party to participate in a SafeWalk or share in other App features. In connection with some features, you may be able to submit certain information anonymously.
Within the App, you can access your profile to update your name and contact information, manage the organizations with which you are connected, and view your App activity. If you cannot find the information you are looking for or make the changes you want to make in the App, please submit a request at the contact information listed below.
To the extent the following rights are granted by the country in which you are located, you have the right to request access to or rectification or erasure of any personal information LiveSafe may hold about you, the right to object to the processing of your information or request the restriction of that processing, and the right to data portability.
The App is not directed to, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 13. If you become aware that your child or any child under your care has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us at the contact information listed below.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.